Background

Friday, May 6, 2011

Handmade Socks

Current Projects

Entrelac Sox and childhood memories
I am currently enjoying making the entrelac socks that I found in a Patons pattern book for socks.  I taught my mother some sock knitting techniques and we have been working together on making the socks.  My mother has been knitting for as long as I can remember and I definitely envy her knitting saavy.  When I was 3 years old, I proudly donned a blue cardigan that had buttons that spelled out my name.  I remember it being one of my favorites.  My mother also made little dresses for me when I was younger, some of which we both laugh about and there are others over the years that showed how well my mother sews.


Me as a kid showing off
mom's handy-work.
A pageant dress my mother made
which helped me win first runner up!
 So now, as I work on my entrelac sox, I remember the days in elementary school when I would sneak yarn and knitting needles to school and knit during recess.  I wasn't very good back then, and what I wanted to be a scarf did not turn out as such.  I picked up stitches inadvertently and would drop them as well.  I also would take my mother's knitting machine, set it up the best I could, and attempted to knit on that as well.  That never turned out well either.  I believe I might have lost some of the pieces as well.  As I finish the socks, I will make sure to post pictures.  In the mean time, I found a website that gives you patterns for making sock blockers by hand, rather then buying them.  Check out this site: http://cyberseams.com/article/105710/all_things_knitting/how_to_make_your_own_sock_blockers.html.

Dyeing with Kool-Aid
As promised, here are the instructions for how to dye entire skeins of your yarn of choice with Kool-Aid.

Supplies:
Large pot (not aluminum)
A glass Pyrex bowl, large enough to hold yarn and dye
At least 1 Pyrex measuring cup
White vinegar
Water
Yarn made from animal fibers (cotton and acrylic will not work)
A plastic or wooden spoon
Strainer
Clothes pins

Instructions:
  1. Unravel your yarn and attach a clothes pin to one end.  This will help you wind your yarn after dyeing is complete. 
  2. Soak yarn in hot water for 30 minutes.  I used another pot with the heat on medium to keep the water hot and clothes pinned the end to the side of the pot.
  3. While yarn is soaking, prepare your dye solution.  For every one packet of Kool-Aid, use 6 oz. of water and 2 oz. of white vinegar. 
  4. Here I used 4 packets of Kool-Aid with
    24 oz. water, 8 oz. vinegar
  5. Also, while yarn is soaking, place large pot on stove with Pyrex bowl nested into it.  You will need to have enough water in the pot to boil, but not so much that it will boil over into the bowl.
  6. Drain yarn in a strainer, squeeze off any excess water.  Caution: water will be extremely hot to the touch.
  7. Place prepared yarn in Pyrex bowl.  Make sure to clothes pin end of yarn to the side of the pot or bowl.
  8. Pour dye solution over yarn, stirring to make sure dye evenly coats the yarn.  Let yarn and solution set on stove for 30 minutes, stirring often to make sure dye evenly coats the yarn.
  9. After 30 minutes, turn off heat.  Allow yarn to rest for 30 minutes.
  10. Drain water from pot and bowl.  Rinse yarn until the water is clear.
  11. Lay yarn out to dry.  May take overnight to dry.
  12. Wind yarn into ball, if desired.


While visiting the Royal Victorian Manor, I attempted to dye cotton fabric with Kool-Aid, which did not turn out as well as the yarn.  After further research, I discovered that cotton fabrics and yarns will not take the Kool-Aid as a dye.  You will need to use a Rit dye or other natural dyes to dye cotton fabric.  I did get some results with the cotton fabric (see below), but you will not be able to wash the fabric, as the dye will wash out with it.

Coming Soon
Pictures of entrelac sox are coming soon!  Also stay tuned for our announcement of the new website launch for Cherished Moments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment