Background

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dyeing with Kool-Aid

Current Projects

Dyeing with Kool-Aid
Over the past week, I have been perfecting the art of preparing samples and entire skeins of yarn dyed with Kool-Aid.  Some of the websites I have seen date back as far as the year 2000, but I am sure this technique has been around longer.  As I experimented with different flavors of Kool-Aid, I sent some snapshots to my mother who was in absolute awe.  A few days ago, I conducted a demonstration for my mother and my uncle at the Royal Victorian Manor, a bed and breakfast owned by my parents in Woodstock, Illinois (the house was The Cherry Street Inn in the movie "Groundhog Day").  Here are some of the results on both Flax-colored and Ivory-colored sock yarn from two different brands:

Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade

Black Cherry on Flax only

 
Lemon-Lime and Ice Blue
Raspberry Lemonade
Pink Lemonade
and Orange
I will be working on putting together instructions for dyeing with Kool-Aid and post them on my next blog entry.  In the mean time, I will be working on dyeing some self striping skeins for sale on etsy.com.  I also plan on putting some items on etsy that are made from the yarn that I have dyed.  More photos to come!

Size 2-4 years sweater vest
I ended up making the v-neck too small for my son's sweater vest, so I will have to redo the ribbing around the neck so it will fit.  I am determined to make this project work in order to get this business going again by mid-June.  Wish us luck!

Coming Soon
We will be updating the Cherished Moments website to include all of the new projects that we are working on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment